General >> General JK and MotS Discussion >> Windows 10?     (Moderator: Admins) Previous Topic | Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
 Author 

Unfortunately, it seems that the time has come to finally admit defeat. With Microsoft ending support for Windows 7 in January, those of us who have held out up until now will finally be forced to upgrade whether we like it nor not.

So tell it to me straight, will the alternate installers on this site work with Windows 10?
Post 06-Sep-2019 20:19        

Just because support is ending for Windows 7, it doesn't mean you are forced off. My main PC is Windows 7 and I don't plan to change that. I also still have a Windows XP PC that I use occasionally. It only means that they will stop providing updates. Since I don't do Windows Updates anyways (and I don't go to any sketchy websites, don't use torrents, etc), end of support has never affected me.

All of that being said, yes, I believe the alternative installers provided here should work.

If not, make sure that you record your product activation key from the COA Windows 7 sticker (or download a tool that will find it for you on your existing Windows 7 machine). Then, when you upgrade to Windows 10, create a VM of Windows 7 on it. You'll need your original Windows 7 CD or you'll need to download the .iso file (best to do that before end of support).

Download Windows 7 iso:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

How to create a Windows 7 VM on Windows 10:
https://kevinblackston.com/2017/05/31/how-to-set-up-a-windows-7-virtual-machine-on-windows-10/
Post 07-Sep-2019 03:33        

I um have been using windows updates for the most part. Don't know if that changes anything. Now, I'm not too techie, so correct me if I'm wrong, but in addition to Microsoft end support for Windows 7, you're paid antivirus company you're using will not sending you any more updates. So, if a new virus, trojan etc, were invented you would not be protected from it.

You could get one as easily as downloading something from the hub or just opening a harmless email attachment. How would you be able to avoid this?
Post 07-Sep-2019 07:58        

I don't think you have to use an installer. The game works fine for me so long as all of the files are in the correct locations.

The files you need are:
- jk.exe
- smackw32.dll
- episode/jk1.gob
- episode/jk1mp.gob
- episode/jk1ctf.gob
- resource/res1hi.gob
- resource/res2.gob

3D acceleration probably won't work, but you can fix that with JkGfxMod:

http://www.jkhub.net/project/show.php?projid=836
Post 09-Sep-2019 15:52        

Revan wrote:
I um have been using windows updates for the most part. Don't know if that changes anything. Now, I'm not too techie, so correct me if I'm wrong, but in addition to Microsoft end support for Windows 7, you're paid antivirus company you're using will not sending you any more updates. So, if a new virus, trojan etc, were invented you would not be protected from it.

You could get one as easily as downloading something from the hub or just opening a harmless email attachment. How would you be able to avoid this?

If you've paid money to an antivirus company that does not support older OSs, it is probably a bad investment. You should find an antivirus that will support any OS. But even still with antivirus there is always a risk of catching something. Always. As you said, if a new virus were invented, and you are infected Before the cure is invented and sent out, your computer has already been compromised.

This means using Windows 7 past its expiration date is no big deal. I still have XP and 2000 on my older computers, and they're fine.
Post 09-Sep-2019 22:04        

Maybe I did bad job of explaining. By "not support" simply means that your antivirus that you have, will no longer be updated, once they have ended service. You can still use the older version of the AV, you just won't get the latest updates for it.

That's really not unusual. Every antivirus software, will eventually send out updates that will not be compatible with older operating systems. That's pretty much how they all work, even Eset works that way. If you guys are still using XP, 2000, 98, etc with old AV software and everything runs fine, then I am assuming you guys are being very careful about, what you download. Then again, if you're all talking about VM, it's a little different. Even if your VM gets a virus, trojan whatever, it actually won't jeopardize your host OS.
Post 11-Sep-2019 19:16        

I'm far from careful of what I click. Need a program, and find the only copy on some ad-riddled site? I just click my way through the redirects until I get it.

Sure is a shame that AV programmers are lazy and use the current OS's libraries rather than creating their own to make work on all platforms. Imagine SpyBot working on Win95, mac OS8 and Redhat.

Then again.... If AV programmers use the latest libraries, maybe the virus programmers do to? So trying to run the latest virus on Win2000 won't be very successful.
Post 12-Sep-2019 21:01        

Protection from viruses is about 95% user behavior. Relying on AV to protect you from viruses is like having daily sex with prostitutes, reusing the same condom, and telling yourself that everything will be fine because you're using protection.

Sorry to be so graphic, but wanted to drive home the point. If you want to "explore" the internet, do it with a VM that you only use for that purpose and can quickly restore from a backup. Otherwise, stick within the bubble of the trusted sites that you've been using for years and avoid clicking ads/links in emails (or make sure that you have a good backup program, which to me, is more valuable then a good AV program).
Post 13-Sep-2019 02:44        

Also, Microsoft already includes one of the more consistently effective antivirus programs with Windows, for free, so paying extra for antivirus isnít necessary.

Third party antivirus software also isnít usually written very well. It tends to increase your attack surface, not decrease it.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/220985-google-researcher-blasts-trendmicro-for-massive-security-hole

I just run JK on Windows 10 with the default antivirus. I wrote JkGfxMod to get 3D acceleration working on Windows 10, and it does. Iím quite happy with this experience and recommend it.
Post 13-Sep-2019 04:50        

Before JkGfxMod, the only way I could get JK to run on my Windows 10 machine was with an older version of dgvoodoo as the then-latest version didn't work with it for some reason. This was in 2016 or something. At some point a newer version of dgvoodoo also worked.

Yet occasionally, JK13 would work even without dgvoodoo but it would be plagued by not actually being in full screen mode but in a full-screen window instead, and the upper and lower parts of the screen got cut off. I remember being able to play TODOA 2- only with a barely working JK13 and not at all with dgvoodoo.

But now JkGfxMod does the trick instead (no need for dgvoodoo, on my end at least) and works better on my Win10 computer than JK13 and dgvoodoo ever did, so that's a bonus.

However, if you have installed JK on Steam and have run it at least once on your (Win10) machine, your Windows registry has gotten messed up by them so you have to mess with compatibility modes and such to get JK with JkGfxMod to run. Interestingly enough, such issues (to my knowledge) haven't occurred with MotS.

So if you have the original JK discs, you need to copypaste the files manually from the discs to your computer (as per Jon's instructions above), I've got no idea if the other installers on JKHub work (might have tried one of them once in 2009 or so, whenever they were released for the first time).
Post 13-Sep-2019 05:10        

JkGfxMod overrides dgVoodoo. It should be harmless to have dgVoodoo around, but it will do nothing and you don't need it anymore.
Post 14-Sep-2019 02:28        

When they were released? Try 2010. If anyone has Windows 10, put the disc in and try this http://www.jkhub.net/project/get.php?id=1956 and tell us how it went?

Edward, you presented a very good point. If the guys writing viruses are only keeping modern OSs in mind, what do the people have to fear, that use old OSs?
Post 14-Sep-2019 14:28        

That assumes malware authors wonít deliberately target older versions of Windows. If your goal is to build a botnet, your ROI is actually much higher targeting older versions of Windows than new ones.

Windows XPís EOL was in 2014. More than 5 years later, 4% of computers still run it, more than all of the desktop computers running any version of Linux. This is an eternally-exploitable software monoculture; a worm that can take control of one XP machine will eventually take over all of them. If you target Windows 10 instead, assuming you can even find a comparable exploit, you will be actively working against a huge company that is trying to patch their software in real-time to stop what youíre doing.

Itís even worse than only that, because a lot of internet-connected industrial equipment runs outdated embedded versions of windows that donít even show up in these kinds of usage statistics. Hacking XP/Server 2003 could disrupt businesses even more than hacking their Windows 10 office machines, so if youíre trying to extort money, that might be an easier and more lucrative approach.

So, yeah, the people running an old OS do have a pretty good amount to fear. I wouldnít do this, certainly not just to play a video game. (Especially when it works so well on newer machines, with the appropriate mods.)
Post 15-Sep-2019 10:45        

You know, even to this day people like bahstrike and Andrew are having troubles running JK on their Win10, no matter which patched exe, dgvoodoos, or alternative dlls. Why do you think bahstrike took up the challange of recreating the sith engine in smith?
Post 15-Sep-2019 11:04        

Edward wrote:
You know, even to this day people like bahstrike and Andrew are having troubles running JK on their Win10, no matter which patched exe, dgvoodoos, or alternative dlls. Why do you think bahstrike took up the challange of recreating the sith engine in smith?

I wrote JkGfxMod to work around my own problems getting JK running on Windows 10. If you or anyone else can't get the game working with JkGfxMod, please post about it in the project forum and I will gladly help you.
*** Post commands are unavailable for guests. ***