General >> General JK and MotS Discussion >> JK and Windows 7     (Moderator: Admins) Previous Topic | Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author 

I just got a laptop with Windows 7. I thought it would be cool to load JK and Mots and other goodies on it. I'm finding that the install disk won't run cause windows says it's 16 bit and windows is 64 bit. compatibility settings don't seem to matter (Win 95/98/ME/XP). Any ideas on how to make it work? Thanks.
Post 25-Feb-2010 22:26        

Yep, it's a bummer alright - I've encountered the same problem! I was really looking forward to doing some JK editing on a fast new laptop but it looks like I may have to keep the old XP PC... Neutral

I've had a hunt around the net but so far haven't had any joy - please let us know if anyone has had any luck!!!
Post 26-Feb-2010 03:20        

We have had some success with jk. I followed others advice to do a direct install without the install program and using the -wingui switch. The steps to do it are on the hub somewhere.

We started using ZED and it seems to be working for now. We havn't tried Mots yet. I've been told that I could upgrade to Win 7 Pro to get the XP module or emulation (or whatever they call it). Hope this helps.
Post 13-Mar-2010 09:58        

I don't suppose you could provide me with a signpost/link? I'm still struggling getting this aspect up and running (despite my best attempts at having a scout around the site... )

Any help anyone can provide would be great!

EDIT: Not to worry folks - managed to resolve this now, following the information on: http://www.jkhub.net/library/index.php/Tutorials:Install_JK. I've also detailed the MotS install on this thread: http://www.jkhub.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2177 (must remember to bookmark these pages!) Let the good times roll!!!
Post 01-Nov-2011 06:00        

Jackpot wrote:
I don't suppose you could provide me with a signpost/link? I'm still struggling getting this aspect up and running (despite my best attempts at having a scout around the site... )

Any help anyone can provide would be great!

EDIT: Not to worry folks - managed to resolve this now, following the information on: http://www.jkhub.net/library/index.php/Tutorials:Install_JK. I've also detailed the MotS install on this thread: http://www.jkhub.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2177 (must remember to bookmark these pages!) Let the good times roll!!!

Hey I tried that link on how to install JK but it doesnt show up it just gives an error, anyone else have this problem?
Post 02-Nov-2011 01:50        

I think JKLauncher has a feature to install JK, and maybe MotS. Have you tried that yet?
Post 03-Nov-2011 04:19        

darthslaw wrote:
I think JKLauncher has a feature to install JK, and maybe MotS. Have you tried that yet?

I just installed JKLauncher but it just closes whenever I try to open it..
Post 04-Nov-2011 01:41        

Hmm, does compatibility mode fix JKLauncher?

Anyhow, if you can't get JKLauncher working, here's how to "install" JK and MotS manually (I.e. this is just how to copy the files to the right places -- to be clear, this doesn't modify the registry or set up any uninstall configuration or any of that stuff)

Assumptions:

• CD drive is E:
  • JK is to be installed to "C:\LucasArts\Jedi Knight"
  • MotS is to be installed to "C:\LucasArts\MotS"

You do not need to follow these assumptions. The values I used are merely examples.

You only need to follow the tasks marked "optional" if you want to be able to watch the cutscenes without the game disc in the drive (E.g. if you install a no-cd patch)

Jedi Knight:

• Make directory "C:\LucasArts\Jedi Knight"
  • Make directory "C:\LucasArts\Jedi Knight\Controls"
  • Make directory "C:\LucasArts\Jedi Knight\Episode"
  • Make directory "C:\LucasArts\Jedi Knight\Resource"
  • Make directory "C:\LucasArts\Jedi Knight\Resource\Video" (optional)
  • Insert JK disc 1 into drive E:
  • Copy all files in "E:\GAMEDATA\EXE" into "C:\LucasArts\Jedi Knight"
  • Copy all files in "E:\GAMEDATA\CONTROLS" into "C:\LucasArts\Jedi Knight\Controls"
  • Copy all files in "E:\GAMEDATA\EPISODE" into "C:\LucasArts\Jedi Knight\Episode"
  • Copy file "E:\GAMEDATA\RESOURCE\RES2.GOB" into "C:\LucasArts\Jedi Knight\Resource"
  • Copy file "E:\GAMEDATA\MININSTALL\RES1HI.GOB" into "C:\LucasArts\Jedi Knight\Resource"
  • Copy all files in "E:\GAMEDATA\RESOURCE\VIDEO" into "C:\LucasArts\Jedi Knight\Resource\Video" (optional)
  • Insert JK disc 2 into drive E: (optional)
  • Copy all files in "E:\GAMEDATA\RESOURCE\VIDEO" into "C:\LucasArts\Jedi Knight\Resource\Video" (optional)

Mysteries of the Sith:

• Make directory "C:\LucasArts\MotS"
  • Make directory "C:\LucasArts\MotS\Controls"
  • Make directory "C:\LucasArts\MotS\Episode"
  • Make directory "C:\LucasArts\MotS\Resource"
  • Make directory "C:\LucasArts\MotS\Resource\Video" (optional)
  • Insert MotS disc into drive E:
  • Copy all files in "E:\GAMEDATA\EXE" into "C:\LucasArts\MotS"
  • Copy all files in "E:\GAMEDATA\CONTROLS" into "C:\LucasArts\MotS\Controls"
  • Copy all files in "E:\GAMEDATA\EPISODE" into "C:\LucasArts\MotS\Episode"
  • Copy file "E:\GAMEDATA\RESOURCE\JKMRES.GOO" into "C:\LucasArts\MotS\Resource"
  • Copy file "E:\GAMEDATA\MININSTALL\JKMSNDLO.GOO" into "C:\LucasArts\MotS\Resource"
  • Copy all files in "E:\GAMEDATA\RESOURCE\VIDEO" into "C:\LucasArts\MotS\Resource\Video" (optional)

And that should do it. Hopefully I didn't omit anything necessary.
Post 06-Nov-2011 15:37        

Oh, I forgot about this tool...

http://www.jkhub.net/project/show.php?projid=547

Never used it myself, though.
Giraffe
Site Developer
Post 08-Nov-2011 05:51        

Crossover808 wrote:
Jackpot wrote:
EDIT: Not to worry folks - managed to resolve this now, following the information on: http://www.jkhub.net/library/index.php/Tutorials:Install_JK.

Hey I tried that link on how to install JK but it doesnt show up it just gives an error, anyone else have this problem?

The correct link should now be http://www.jkhub.net/library/index.php?title=Tutorials:Install_JK
Post 20-Nov-2011 00:17        

So, luckily, I got JK to run beautifully on my Win7 PC (even without the 3d acceleration dll! - installed it anyway though), but there is one really annoying problem.

For some reason I can't bind the right shift key. I've copied my JK player folder from my old PC, but somehow it doesn't 'import' my keys (this always used to work on older systems), and I can't bind that key manually. Also, some keys are represented by the wrong symbols. I checked my language/keyboard settings, but they are correct.

It's a real pain because I've always used the same key config for every game I've played in my entire life, and changing that key would force me to entirely change all my keys, since I'm already using all the keys in that 'neighbourhood'. I can't be arsed to re-learn new keys again, I've tried it before and it just doesn't work for me.

Anyone encounter this same problem or have any idea what it could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Post 21-Nov-2011 04:51        

Update:

Okay, I noticed that JK does 'import' my old keys (the .plr file), only some of them (among which the Right Shift key) still do not work in game, even though they are correctly bound in the keyboard settings.

Another major questionmark though!

Today I was going to test my new level, and to my surprise I noticed in the level selection screen all kinds of levels showing up that I had actually deleted from my episode folder.

So I'm running a search on my HD to see where Windows/JK was keeping these files and it turned out there was a copy of my entire JK folder somewhere deep down in Application Data.

(C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Jedi Knight\)

Not everything was there though, the original JK level gobs were there, levels I had played after installing JK were there, but in my player folder there was only the file of the player I had been using (there are more player files in my original folder because I'm using a separate player file for each mod I play).

The JK exe wasn't there though, nor the jk_cd file in resource.

Why does JK/Windows do this? It's really annoying because now it seems like I have to manage 2 JK folders instead of one.

Can someone explain to me why this happens and what I need to be aware of in this regard?
Post 27-Nov-2011 23:04        

*Bump* I just don't want my other thread at top as my news there not really positive. -_-
Post 24-Jan-2012 13:06        

I have followed the instructions above and i still cannot get JK to run properly. I use win 7 64 bit home premium. An ATI 4200 Readon HD card with 1.2 gigs of video ram in a laptop. 4 gigs of system ram.

The game starts up with Lucas Arts logo discolored and the first video playes. During playback the video is very discolored and pixelated.. like a bleed through effect. After the video playes it crashed to desktop with jk.exe stopped working error.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Edit:

It has something to do with Window mode it seems. I came across the alternate setup program and used that. The game seemed to run fine but running in a window. I cannot make the window full screen.

Then i decided to try to apply the Jedi Knight Enhanced patch thinking that may have a full screen option that works because it uses higher resolution textures. I installed it and that also runs in full screen just like before - with Lucas Arts logo discolored and the first video playes. During playback the video is very discolored and pixelated. Than a crash to desktop.

I went back to the original shortcut the alternate setup made and removed the windowsGIU console command from the target. Again, the game runs full screen with Lucas Arts logo discolored and the first video playes. During playback the video is very discolored and pixelated. Than a crash to desktop.

I need to get both the game and enhanced patch working in either full screen or full screen window - full screen window would not bother me as long as everything worked.
Post 24-Jan-2012 22:02        

Not sure what you are doing to the game, but make sure that the gui is windowed (-windowgui) and that in your Setup -> Display -> Advanced that it is not set for Windowed Mode.
Alternatively, check "3D Acceleration"
*** Post commands are unavailable for guests. ***