This is fantastic to see! Can't get it to work tho!     (Moderator: BAH_Strike) Previous Topic | Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
 Author 

Hi!

First of all. Fantastic. Just FANTASTIC. Features look awesome and I wish you all the best with this project. Very excited to give it a try! Made a new account just to show support!

Also, I can't get it to work.

So once I select a path and chose an episode from the list the program crashes. Black screen in the game window. I can still hear the sound of the panels but that's pretty much it.

The error message says as follows:

"Microsoft. Net Framework

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue,
the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application
will close immediately.

Input string was not in a correct format."

Continue it is then! Nothing. Full message below.

Also sorry if I missed something!

[quote]
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
at System.Number.ParseDouble(String value, NumberStyles options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)
at System.Double.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
at Smith.InventoryBinSet..ctor(Stream s)
at Smith.Main.LoadLevel(GOB gob, String jklfile, EpisodeType episodeType)
at Smith.Net.MsgLoadLevel.Process(Double dt, Double truedt)
at Smith.Net.Peer.Process(Double dt, Double truedt)
at Smith.Net.Process(Double dt, Double truedt)
at Smith.Net.Process()
at Smith.Net.processTimer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5485 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Smith
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Machina/Desktop/Smith.exe
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5491 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5492 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5483 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Quote:
Post 24-Jun-2018 16:00        

This is due to either of two things:

1) Your native country and therefore language settings in Windows are of a country that uses commas as decimal places. If this is the case, please let me know.

2) You have a level or mod that contains a value I'm not parsing correctly. I know this is tedious but if you could try moving all your GOBs out of ur JK folder and progressively introduce more and more until the problem happens, to isolate which GOB contains the problem, and then tell me what it is and/or send it to me, then I can fix the engine to be more resilient.

Thx for your interest mate and I hope u can help me out in either of these cases to improve the engine overall
Post 24-Jun-2018 19:15        

BAH_Strike wrote:
This is due to either of two things:

1) Your native country and therefore language settings in Windows are of a country that uses commas as decimal places. If this is the case, please let me know.

2) You have a level or mod that contains a value I'm not parsing correctly. I know this is tedious but if you could try moving all your GOBs out of ur JK folder and progressively introduce more and more until the problem happens, to isolate which GOB contains the problem, and then tell me what it is and/or send it to me, then I can fix the engine to be more resilient.

Thx for your interest mate and I hope u can help me out in either of these cases to improve the engine overall

1) Tried on two PCs the first one is an old peace of garbage with Windows XP and that one does indeed uses Polish as it's main language. Don't know if commas are used as decimal places tho. The one at home however is Win7 with English for default as the system language. Also don't know if there are any additional regional settings I should check?

2) It is a pain so I just re installed a clean version. Same thing I am afraid. I thought that maybe the GOG version was somehow modified but I copied the GOB from the CD (Amazing I still have this btw). Also tried with only JK1.Gob in the folder. Nothing changed.

Maybe I'm missing some extension that should be installed in Windows in order to make run the program correctly?

No idea. Anyway, Whatever you need I will supply.

EDIT: I'll try reinstalling Microsoft. Net Framework. See if that does anything.
Post 24-Jun-2018 19:55        

Made it work!

Changed the region in the Control Panel to United Kingdom! Thanks for putting me on the right track!
Post 24-Jun-2018 22:36        

Awesome, I'm glad we got it figured out.

I've actually been bit by this before with software we write at work.

I've switched my machine to use , for decimal point and replicated the problem you had. I'm going through the smith codebase now and hopefully bulletproofing all the text/float conversions to use "Invariant" culture info.

In future versions of smith this should be fixed regardless of OS language settings.
Post 11-Nov-2018 19:04        

Fantastic to see you still working on this. Excellent progress. Newer versions don't work for me tho. The exe won't start. I get the message "Smith has stopped working. Windows can check for an online solution to the problem."

Under problem details I get this:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: smith (1).exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 5be7e9c7
Problem Signature 04: System
Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 53a12529
Problem Signature 07: 21b7
Problem Signature 08: 1b
Problem Signature 09: System.NotSupportedException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
Post 11-Nov-2018 21:26        

aight, i was able to replicate the same crash on my ol crusty winxp laptop.

had to do with me needing to set TLS 1.2 network security protocol in order to download demo files, if you don't have a JK installation. yet on winXP i guess only TLS 1.0 is supported. so it blew up.

i've bulletproofed it so it just warns you about possible unable to download demo files. if u point smith to valid JK then you should not see that. the next build should be working for you.

i still however cannot run in-game on my winxp laptop, after switching rendering over to shaders. i think it only has opengl 2.0 and i think smith requires 3.0 and glsl 1.30. still though, opengl 3.0 is like 2009 era so i think smith will run on anything even remotely modern.

out of curiousity, what OS are you running on
Post 11-Nov-2018 23:09        

Thanks! That's good to hear! Windows 7 64 bit.
Post 12-Nov-2018 23:15        

oh really.. thats weird.
perhaps its not the same TLS version issue i found on winxp laptop.
well a new version is available on smith.bah.wtf give it a shot and see if it works now?
Post 13-Nov-2018 16:41        

Works like a charm now. Strange stuff indeed.
Post 14-Nov-2018 02:46        

awesome man, thx for ur help in isolating that crash and confirming its resolution. i added the betatester badge to your contributer card
*** Post commands are unavailable for guests. ***