Sectors are convex polyhedrons that define a negative-space region. Sectors are the primary structures in levels and represent an area where things can exist. Each face of a sector is called a surface. Sectors are connected together by adjoins.
Sectors can have several properties specifying particular behavior.
- Ambient Light - Lighting value that is added to things within the sector.
- Extra Light - Lighting value that is added to all of the surfaces of the sector.
- Colormap - The 8-bit palette that is applied to 8-bit textures while the camera is inside the sector. Software mode only
- Tint - The multiplicative RGB color effect that is applied while the camera is inside the sector.
- Boundbox - Affects physics. Unknown.
- Collidebox - Affects physics. Unknown.
- Center - Mathematical center of the sector.
- Radius - Affects physics. Unknown.
- Sound - Ambient sound that is played when the camera is inside the sector.
- 0x0001 - Sector does not use the level's gravity.
- 0x0002 - Sector is underwater.
- 0x0004 - Sector sends messages to COGs.
- 0x0008 - Sector applies thrust to things within it.
- 0x0010 - Sector is not shown on in-game maps.
- 0x0020 - Unknown
- 0x0040 - Sector is a pit.
- 0x0080 - Sector adjoins have been disabled by a COG.
- 0x0100 - Unknown
- 0x0200 - Unknown
- 0x0400 - Unknown
- 0x0800 - Unknown
- 0x1000 - Sector uses Collidebox.
- 0x2000 - Unknown
- 0x4000 - Sector is shown on in-game maps.
The following COG messages can be sent by sectors to linked scripts:
- Entered - Sent when a thing enters the sector.
- Exited - Sent when a thing leaves the sector.